Leather shoes are one of the most amazing shoes you will ever find. They are durable and very comfortable to wear. They can be very fashionable as well, and it does not seem like they will go out of fashion anytime soon. This is why getting water stains on them can be horrible. It is almost impossible to avoid stains on them, especially during the rain.
Watermarks on leather shoes can look awful, and you might freak out if you don’t know how to get rid of them. However, water stains on leather shoes are fairly easy to get rid of. In this article, you will find some of the ways through which you can remove water stains off your leather shoes. Read on to find out the steps.
Things you will need
There are several ways through which you can remove water stains from your leather shoes. You can do it by using some simple items which you will find at home. And then you can get some leather protection products for which you will have to spend some money. Use the products after cleaning to maintain the quality of your leather shoes.
Some of the few ways of removing water stain from leather shoes are mentioned below. You will need:
- Vinegar, lemon juice, alcohol or soap/shampoo
- Soft brush
- Some clean cloth
After you are ready with the items, you can now proceed to clean your leather shoes by following any one of the following steps:
In this first method, you will be using vinegar to clean your shoes. Vinegar is one of the best ways to clean your leather shoes. It effectively removes almost every stain on your shoes. And the best thing is that it is readily available in your home so that you don’t have to spend extra time and money looking for them. To remove water stains from your shoes, follow these steps:
- Take a small bowl and fill it with vinegar.
- Now take a clean piece of cloth and dip it in the vinegar.
- Gently rub it on the water stains on your leather shoes until the stains disappear.
- Dry off the vinegar with another dry piece of cloth
- Keep your shoes in a well-ventilated area for the shoe to dry off properly.
- Do not dry the shoes under direct sunlight, as it may result in the discoloration of the shoe.
Alternatively, you can use a soft toothbrush to remove the water stains off the leather shoe. Just mix a few drops of vinegar and mix it with cold water and follow the same procedure.
For the second method, you will need some lemons. Lemon is another great kitchen item that acts as an effective cleaning agent. The citric acid present in the lemon helps in removing tough stains and works like bleach. It is another item which you can easily find in your home.
The steps to follow in this method are:
- Squeeze a couple of lemons on a small bowl
- Dip a small piece of clean cloth in the bowl of lemon juice. You can alternatively use a soft brush.
- After this, use the cloth or the brush to rub off the water stains on the shoe.
- If necessary, repeat this process until the stains disappear. You can rub it a little vigorously if the stains are hard to remove
- After the stains are gone, wipe off the shoe with a dry piece of clean cloth.
- Allow the shoe to dry off in a cool and ventilated area.
The third method is one of the easiest and simplest methods to remove water stains off your leather shoes. This method uses the simple formula of soap and water. You can also use mild detergent or shampoo for this method. You can easily find these items in your home as well.
The steps to be followed in this third method are:
- Take a bowl and fill it with lukewarm water.
- Use the soap to produce foam in the water. Alternatively, you can add shampoo or a mild detergent in the water.
- Mix the water well
- Now dip a clean piece of cloth or brush and rub in on the areas where the stains are
- Use a little force if required.
Rub until the stains disappear from the shoes
After following these steps, you can now do the same steps, which are mention in the previous method – wipe it with a clean cloth and allow it to dry in a cool and well-ventilated area.
For the last and final method on how to remove water stains from leather shoes, you will need alcohol. If you have surgical alcohol, then it’s even better. Many people don’t know this, but using alcohol is a great and effective way to remove stains from shoes. The steps to clean shoes with alcohol are as follows:
- Get a clean piece of cloth and put a few drops of alcohol on it.
- You can also use vodka
- Now using that cloth, wipe it on the stains of the shoe
- Repeat the steps until the stains are gone
- Allow it to air dry in a cool and ventilated area or under a fan
For this method, remember to use the alcohol with a cloth or brush to rub it on the stains. Do not make the mistake of pouring it directly on the shoe. This can damage the shoe or create more stains on the shoe.
As you can see, the steps for getting water stains out of your leather shoes are quite easy and straightforward. You will have your shoes free from stains in no time. Leather shoes are expensive, so after you are done with cleaning, make sure to spend some more time and money to take care of them. You will find several types of leather oils and sprays to keep your shoes looking good as new. Apply these products before and after every use and especially after cleaning them. These extra steps you take will ensure the longevity of your favorite leather shoes.